In one of the most famous lines in the Our Father, we petition the Lord to “lead us not into temptation”. Yet temptation remains a daily occurrence throughout our lives. How can we avoid being drawn to the destructive things that entice us and what is our strategy for successfully overcoming temptation?
For many of us, there are habits that are tearing apart our families or holding us back from loving God and living out the life he has planned for us. Consequently, the time to take action and fight temptation needs to be now. St. Faustina, a modern mystic and saint, shares with us a five-point formula for success right from Christ who revealed it to her! She wrote about it in her personal diary, Divine Mercy in My Soul, in section 1560. Let’s go through her points and gain wisdom and knowledge!
“Do not fight against a temptation by yourself but disclose it to the confessor at once, and then the temptation will lose all its force.”
- In Ephesian 5:11-13, St. Paul advises, “Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them … but when anything is exposed by the light it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light.”
This means that we should disclose our temptations in the confessional so we can gain the strength and graces necessary to overcome them. Don’t allow the things that fester deep in your soul to haunt you but rather bring them to the light!
“During these ordeals do not lose your peace; live in My presence; ask My Mother and the Saints for help”
- John 14:27 quotes Jesus as saying, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. “
As moms, how often we lose our peace over small matters! When this happens and we allow the world to disrupt us, we become miserable and then give in to our temptations. Remember to ask the Blessed Mother and the saints for help! It’s similar to calling a friend to discuss how to get through a difficult day. You can’t regain your inner peace over chocolate, shopping or a latte. True inner peace only comes from God. Thankfully, Mary and the saints can request it for us if we ask for their intercession.
“Have the certitude that I am looking at you and supporting you”
- In Matthew 28, we find the final words that Christ shares on earth and they are so comforting: “Behold I am with you always, to the close of the age.”
Christ is here with us in our journey and he sent the Holy Spirit to help us! He is always with us, supporting and strengthening us.
“Do not fear either struggles of the soul or any temptations, because I am supporting you; if only you are willing to fight, know that the victory is always on your side.”
- 2nd Timothy 4:5 says, “As for you, always be steady, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.”
With Christ, all things are possible. If we allow our faith to be a source of strength, we can move mountains in our lives and overcome our greatest temptations! Fear holds us back from living the life Christ wants us to have! We can’t fear our temptations, but rather know that their is value in the fighting the good fight!
“Know that by fighting bravely you give Me great glory and amass merits for yourself. Temptation gives you a chance to show Me your fidelity.”
- In 1 Corinthians 16:13, St. Paul says, “Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.”
May love be the bedrock for our actions and may we always remain faithful to Christ and His Church. God loves us no matter what! He wants to show us his mercy and kindness we just need to turn to our God and seek out His strength and love!